1. The city of Syracuse was once ruled over by a clever but very cruel
man called Dionysius.
2. Perhaps he would not have been so harsh and cruel if he had been
able to trust his people.
3. Pythias begged to be allowed to go and bid his relations in the country
farewell, promising to return at a given time to suffer the death to which
he had been condemned.
4. Time went on and the day fixed for his return drew near, but still he
did not come.
5. Calling him and Damon to his side he entreated them to allow him to
be a third in their friendship.
6. But a few minutes before the fatal time Pythias rushed in, and having
warmly embraced his friend, he went forward to take his place.