Directions: Working sentence by sentence,
place parentheses around each prepositional phrase. Then underline every
finite verb twice, and every subject once. Label the complements ("PA,"
"PN," "IO," or "DO").
From the Writing of Fourth Graders:
Exploring Verbs as Direct Objects
Exercise # 3: Gerunds as Direct Objects
1. We tried playing with the buggyboard in the pool.
2. Soon we started smelling smoke.
3. They began swimming across the lake.
4. I never gave up trying to ride my bike without training
5. We will never try cooking pancakes again.
6. They saw Carol riding her bike.