1. Although Nature has made many strange creatures to live at a
great depth under the sea, we find just as queer and interesting fish
living in what we call the surface waters.
2. Long ago there were great giant sea animals that were of far
greater size than those of today. Whales and sharks belong to these
3. Man fears the sharks more than any other creature, great or
small, which lives in the sea. The white shark is the most dreaded
monster in the deep. Many are armed with strong, sharp, cutting
teeth which aid them in their hunt for large fish. These creatures will
attack men and they can tear off a leg or even bite through the trunk
of a man with ease.
4. Sharks often follow ships. Sailors catch these huge fishes by
using a great hook baited with a piece of meat. The hook is fastened
to a chain, for the great jaws and teeth of the fish would bite through
a rope with ease.
5. Some sharks are enemies of large whales. Whales have often
been found with pieces bitten out of their tails by these animals.
6. We know that a long time ago many giant sharks swarmed in the
sea, for upon the bottom of the ocean their teeth are found by